WORKSHOP 1: Introduction to Professional Practice for Graphic Design


In class this week we we talk about the unit, the profession of graphic design and how to prepare for the upcoming "Show and Tell" next week. You will also need to create a blog for all Assessment 1 "Self-Reflection" tasks.

Homework

Find one object (can be anything - a photo, poster, toy, piece of clothing, tea cup, designed object, etc) that defines or inspires you as a designer and prepare a 5 min speech to the class about this object. Your speech should answer the following questions: What is special about this object and how have you incorporated elements of this into your design work/creative practice? What does this object say about your personality and personal style? Post a photo of your object and your statement on your blog as your first blog post.


(Image from IKEA catalogue - found here)

What is special about this object and how have you incorporated elements of this into your design work/creative practice?

I have selected a photograph from the IKEA catalogue, I find the aesthetic of this image interesting for a few reasons. It demonstrates a harmonic balance between the simple and complex, old fashioned yet modern. This photograph has nuances with the scene depicted does not cluttered, each individual piece is interesting yet does not detract from the overall balance.

With my designs I try to strive for depth of meaning through simple shapes, complex ideas through meaning and metaphor - for example a logo does not have to be 2-dimensional, it can have many meanings and draw several ties to history or its context. This is similar to the approach that IKEA takes with its product line, simple shapes that each by themselves are meaningless but when assembled create meaning and purpose.

I aspire to be as clean, simple and essential in my designs, to create this balance that IKEA achieves with its product line and catalogue images.

What does this object say about your personality and personal style?

With my approach to design I often try to simplify down the elements I am trying to create. I take a logical approach to any problem and slowly build upon a solid foundation of research and initial design concepts. I try to create a balance between the complex and simple that is interesting and intriguing.